Friday, February 28, 2014

Vegetarian Chinese Food in San Francisco

I spent approximately half of my recent trip to San Francisco near Union Square, within a few blocks of San Francisco's famed Chinatown.  I'd heard that San Francisco boasts an excellent selection of both vegetarian food and Chinese food, and I was especially excited to discover the existence of vegetarian Chinese restaurants.  During the week I spent in San Francisco, I was able to try two Chinese restaurants with completely vegetarian menus.

Enjoy Vegetarian Restaurant
I went to the Enjoy Vegetarian Restaurant at 839 Kearny St, on my way back from wandering up to Telegraph Hill and the Coit Tower.  I stopped in for an early dinner soon after they opened for the evening.  Early on a Saturday night, the restaurant wasn't too crowded, and it was a very cozy atmosphere for solo dining.  I've never felt so comfortable eating out alone.  I ordered crispy salt and pepper tofu and vegetable chow mein for my meal.  There are a lot of fake meat dishes on the menu, but I've never been a huge fan of fake meat, and frankly, I was a little overwhelmed by the number of choices, so I just picked the first couple of things I thought looked appetizing.

Crispy tofu

The crispy tofu was very good though slightly salty for my taste.  The peppers did add some spice, which I appreciated.  The vegetable chow mein was also very tasty.


Vegetable chow mein
There were quite a few other dishes on the menu that I was interested in trying, so next time I'm in San Francisco, hopefully I'll get a chance to go back.
Lucky Creation Vegetarian Restaurant
A friend and I went to Lucky Creation Vegetarian Restaurant for lunch on a rainy day.  After taking multiple wrong turns, we finally found the restaurant and went in.  It was quite small, but the food was tasty.  Going to the bathroom was a bit of an adventure, since in order to get to it, you had to walk through the narrow, slippery kitchen.

Vegetable lo mein and clay pot curry
We ordered a couple of dishes, lo mein with mushrooms and carrots and vegetables and a clay pot dish, vegetable curry noodles.  The lo mein was fairly good, but I wasn't a big fan of the curry.  Their menu also has a very large selection, and if you're in the Chinatown area, it's worth a try.

There are a couple of other vegetarian Chinese restaurants that I didn't get to try, but San Francisco appears to have a great selection of vegetarian food!

No comments:

Post a Comment